Saturday 1 September 2012

Mommy Wars

The Reverse Mommy Wars

So, let me just start this post by saying childbirth was not something I have dreamed of all my life. I was actually planning on a childless existence filled with tons of traveling and a high powered career in a corner office with an assistant to bring me a Soy Vanilla Latte, two sugars, not too hot, not too cold, etc etc. Life has a way of changing your plans and when I met Mark and we fell in love (cue the sappy background music...) I could actually picture a life with as a mom that didn't scare the hell out of me. And now here we are....

To be honest, I didn't start preparing for the future baby C until we'd actually conceived. I've bought a few books and browsed TONS of baby blogs, and, of course, downloaded a handful of iPhone apps, but I still feel absolutely clueless. The one thing that I have consistently found across my research is the 'Mommy Wars', the mother clubs who devote the time they aren't spending raising the perfect child, writing their My-Way-or-You're-a-terrible-mother blogs about how to raise the perfect child.

Now, don't get me wrong, I often solicit advice and it's very much appreciated, BUT these women are not giving advice. They are telling you that if you do not do what they do you should not be a mother. From Breast feeding to potty training these ladies are nothing short of bullies really.

I was sitting in the salon the other day when a woman came in with her baby, clearly distraught. She was running from a crowd of angry mothers who cornered her in a coffee shop because she was feeding her baby...wait for it...FORMULA (gasppppp!) The woman, actually couldn't breast feed, but even if she could, IT'S HER DECISION. To each their own, I say. As long as you're raising a healthy and happy child, then carry on.

Stepping off my soap box now, I just encourage everyone to be a little less judgmental and a little more supportive, Lord knows, we all need it.

*End of rant*

H x

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I Still get ugly looks for feeding my baby formula!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a fantastic mom, Juls! Nobody can deny that, formula or not :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS