Sunday 24 March 2013

Lotions and Potions: Part 1


I can't believe it's been just over 3 months since I was pregnant. Time sure flies when you're not sleeping.. I was thinking back to those 9 long months of ups and downs and growth..lots and lots of growth and I have to say I'm pretty thankful for two things: the internet and good and experienced friends who helped me along the way. While I tried to stay away from the internet for all the big important issues (it is a terrifying place to look for information) I did find some really great blogs and sites for pregnancy products. I also had a few friends who put valuable time, as they have children and I can only now appreciate how valuable that time was, into helping me. So, now that I've got a little of that experience behind me I thought it was only fair I share what I learned.

First, lets talk about lotions as this was something I was particularly interested in (I was terrified of stretch marks). 

These are my top 4 pregnancy stretch mark creams. (Click the name for link to products)


    
1. Mama Mio Tummy Rub ($35,£23).  I LOVE this stuff. I probably went through about 4 or 5 tubs of it and I still use it now and then. It's got a fresh citrusy smell and, while it's a thick cream, it doesn't take forever to rub in. Mama Mio has a pretty fantastic pregnancy and post pregnancy range that I'm still exploring. They also have a tummy rub oil but I just prefer the lotion.

2. Cowshed Udderly Gorgeous Stretch Mark Balm ( $31, £21). This was my first choice because I love Cowshed products. They are just lovely and my whole house would be stocked with them if I didn't like trying new things so much. I looked for two weeks for this stuff in London. I even had coworkers out looking during their lunch break. I couldn't even find it online. I got my hopes up at a store near work when I found a sample on the shelf but, alas, they were out of stock and I gave up my search which is how I came to use Mama Mio. I contacted Cowshed and they said they were working on restocking so there's a good chance you will be able to find it now. They also have an adorable line for baby that I may get around trying, I'll let you know.

3. Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Butter ($13, £8.50). Most people know and love Burt's Bees products so I don't have to sell this stuff. I never used a full size product but the sample I scored was pretty great and you can't really beat the price.

4. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Original Formula. (around $5, £3.50). This is an old faithful product. People use this for just about everything and have for a long time so who am I to argue. I always have a bottle of this in my house and probably always will. I never used it on my belly but I have started now, post pregnancy and love it.

I know they say stretchmarks are hereditary and that may be but I think you can help yourself along the way. I did, in the 9th month, get the dreaded 'stripes of honor' but not many and I think it would have been a lot worse if I hadn't been super careful. 

It's important to also remember that you're more likely to get them if you gain weight really quickly (which I did in my last month) and if you don't keep your skin properly hydrated- so drink up and put that donut down (do you REALLY need 5 of them?)

I know there's a plethora of these lotions out there all ranging in prices and I'm sure there's some family secret that's been passed down through generations of women so if you have any you want to share please do.

I have a particularly fussy baby today so my post pregnancy picks will have to wait for another day. 

I hope you all had a wonderfully relaxing weekend.

H xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS