Tuesday 2 April 2013

Lotions and Potions:Part 2-Stretch Marks

I may have mentioned once or twice before that I packed on a few pounds during the last few months of my pregnancy. I know, I know, 'you were pregnant, you're allowed to gain some weight'. Of course you are, but I may have abused that excuse as I stuffed just about everything made of chocolate, pizza, bread or sugar into my mouth. My appetite, which would have made a sumo wrestler a little nauseous, combined with the fact that I wasn't walking everywhere like I had in London, made for a pudgy Heather (and I'm one of those lucky ladies that gains most of her weight in her face so I looked a bit like a pregnant chipmunk).

It's ok though, a very important lesson has been learned for next time, if there is a next time. Unfortunately, the lesson has some lasting effects that I am now working very hard to diminish.

While I've tried really really hard to jump on that empowered mama bandwagon, the one that has the women wearing their stretch marks with pride, I just can't. Of course, I would take a million of them all over again because the outcome was my bouncing baby boy, but I hate them and I want them to go away, damn it. Also, if it could happen before bathing suit season that would be great, thanks.

So here's what I've been using so far and it's really been helping.

One. Bio Oil (between $15-$25, £12-£20). I purchased Bio Oil for the first time years ago for some other scars but never really had the discipline to apply it as often as I should so I didn't get results. This time I've put it on every single day and have seen a difference. It doesn't work overnight and I'm now 3 months postpartum and still only seeing minor changes but that's ok. Even though it's an oil it rubs in really nicely and doesn't leave you feeling greasy. It also doesn't have a really noticeable smell.

Two. Palmer's Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks. ($6, £4.50). Like I said, Palmer's Cocoa Butter is an old favorite but this version is specifically made for stretch marks. I've read A LOT of information on what works best for marks and this always seems to come up. I put this on after every shower. It smells just like regular cocoa butter, which isn't overpowering, and while it's a thicker cream it rubs in pretty well.

Every woman is different and everyone's bodies react differently to products but from what I've read, both of these are working for a lot of people. They won't ever go away completely but they are starting to fade considerably. I have also been going to the tanning bed, which I obviously can't recommend, (I'm using it for another skin issue..) and the sun seems to help them at least blend in to the rest of my skin. Also, losing weight seems to be helping them too, which I guess makes sense...

If you have a magic remedy please let us know! Or bottle it up and sell it, I'll totally buy some!

H xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS